Associate Director, Chinese Academy of Sciences South American Center for Astronomy (CASSACA)
CASSACA is inviting applications for the associate director position to be based in Santiago, Chile. CASSACA was founded in 2013 as the first oversea center for research and education of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). It has two offices: one in Santiago, Chile, associated with Chile University; and one in Beijing, China, associated with NAOC. CASSACA’s main goals are to coordinate China-Chile collaborations in astronomy, and to develop Chinese astronomical facilities in Chile. The associate director position is open to all qualified candidates globally.
1. The qualified candidate is required to work in the CASSACA Santiago office for at least 9 months a year, in coordination with the CASSACA director and chief scientist.
2. The qualified candidate is expected to work with the director to facilitate the constructions of the astronomy observatory in Northern Chile and the new CAS campus in Santiago.
3. The qualified candidate’s job involves communications with the Chilean government and Chilean universities on behalf of CASSACA.
4. The qualified candidate will be in charge of the selection and evaluation of China-Chile astronomy collaboration programs.
5. The qualified candidate will be in charge of the selection and evaluation the China-Chile Postdoc fellowship programs.
6. The qualified candidate will need to coordinate the Chinese visiting scientist program in Chile.
7. The qualified candidate will lead the CASSACA outreach activities, news release and the update of the CASSACA website (with support from IT personnel).
1. The qualified candidate shall hold a Ph.D. degree in astrophysics or related fields, and have a good research record with at least two terms of postdoc experiences or at least 3 year experience of assistant professor level or equivalent.
2. The qualified candidate needs to be able to work in Santiago, Chile on a long-term basis.
3. The qualified candidate needs to have good communication skill and administration experience, with a preference to candidates with an experience in observatory administration.
4. The qualified candidate is required to be fluent in English and have a good level of Chinese, with a preference to candidates with a good level of Spanish.
Salary and Compensations:
The salary and compensation is based on the CASSACA salary standard and relevant terms therein. The contract will be on a 3-year basis, with possible long-term extensions upon performance. For details please request the application form package from our contact person.
The application deadline is March 25, 2021.
Contact: Ms. Shumei Wu, CASSACA Beijing Office
Phone: +86 (010)64807797
address: 20A Datun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China,